On 25 October 2021, the Communications Regulatory Authority of the Republic of Lithuania (RRT) has announced an auction for granting the right to use radio frequencies (channels) from the 713-733 MHz and 768-88 MHz radio frequency bands. Using these radio frequencies (channels), a new generation of 5G mobile communication networks will be installed in the territory of the Republic of Lithuania and 5G electronic communication services will be provided.
“After discussions and public debates with market participants and all interested institutions, we announce and invite entities to participate in the auction, which will establish new technologies and their progress in the market,” says RRT Director Feliksas Dobrovolskis. “Difficult negotiations with neighbouring countries, responsible preparation of the spectrum, such as the release of part of the television frequencies, listening to market and consumer expectations – all these processes were essential elements for us to properly prepare for the auction. In approving the conditions of the auction, we were guided by the principles of transparency and equality, the best practices of other countries and pursued the most important goal – advanced, safe and accessible services for Lithuanian consumers”.
The most important conditions of the auction:
- Three radio frequency blocks will be offered at the auction: one 2×10 MHz wide and two 2×5 MHz wide from the 713-733 MHz and 768-788 MHz radio frequency bands.
- During the auction, the auction participant will be able to submit bids for only one radio frequency block.
- The initial price for the right to use a radio frequency block is Eur 5 million (for 2×10 MHz wide block) and Eur 3 million (for 2×5 MHz wide block).
- The term of use of radio frequency blocks is 20 years from the date of issue of the relevant permit.
- Auction winners will be required:
- to provide electronic communications services covering at least 98% of the territories of the Republic of Lithuania;
- to provide electronic communications services with a speed of at least 30 Mb/s or 15 Mb/s speed (depending on the size of the won block) to 80 percent of households in the Republic of Lithuania, in international transport corridors and on state highways, railway lines, airports and seaports;
- not later than within six months from the date of issuance of the permit to start providing commercial 5G communication services in at least one of the following cities: Vilnius, Kaunas, Klaipėda, Šiauliai or Panevėžys, and from 31 December 2023 to start providing 5G communication services in all five largest cities of the Republic of Lithuania.
The auction is open to all market participants, both existing and potential. Proceeds from the auction will go to the state budget. Persons wishing to participate in the auction are invited to submit RRT auction documents by 25 January 2022 2 p.m. More information about the auction is available here: https://www.rrt.lt/radijo-spektras/aukcionas-700-mhz/
Updated on 2021-10-25